Eating Disorder Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need Some Advice

4 posters

Go down

Need Some Advice Empty Need Some Advice

Post by CanTheySeeHer Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:36 am

For my psychology A-level i have to study a topic on eating disorders. Im in 'recovery' i still relapse from time to time and i still have all the stupid thoughts in my damn head (they're not gonna go are they?) i dont know if i can actually study the topic and have people saying about how stupid people with ED's are, i dont think i can handle it without fully relapsing back. i dont know wether to talk to the teacher and ask if i can be excused from the lessons when we study the subject but i have never actually told a teacher, what shouls/could i do? i may just end up dropping the subject Sad

CanTheySeeHer

Back to top Go down

Need Some Advice Empty Re: Need Some Advice

Post by Samzi Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:39 am

Oh that's terrible! Congrats on being in recovery (and relapse is a part of it for a while, but it does get better). Do you feel comfortable talking to the teacher? Is it something that you think your school-mates could come around to understanding if they were taught properly about it?
Samzi
Samzi

Back to top Go down

Post by CanTheySeeHer Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:42 am

Samzi wrote:Oh that's terrible! Congrats on being in recovery (and relapse is a part of it for a while, but it does get better). Do you feel comfortable talking to the teacher? Is it something that you think your school-mates could come around to understanding if they were taught properly about it?

im not really sure if i could :/ i dont want all the teachers finding out and looking at me differently (its a new school) i dont really think anyones views on eating disorders will change. when i waas reading about what we would be studing, it was talking about how it canb involve genetics and the way you were brought up and i really dont want to end up blaming my mum :/

CanTheySeeHer

Back to top Go down

Post by blackrainbow Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:00 am

Maybe you should speak to your teacher. Whatever you say he/she will have to keep confidential. Another route would be to talk up in class and disagree with what people are saying. I'm sure they're just the minority and if you say something different to what they're all saying, then other people will agree with you and speak out too. If anyone gets suspicious you could always say that you knew someone with an eating disorder like a neighbour or someone at your old school. How long will you be studying EDs for? It probably won't be longer than a term, so just remember that it won't be forever
blackrainbow
blackrainbow
Admin

http://blackrainbow60.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fattie Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:15 am

Where are you from (meaning country/continent)?

I think you can go to school nurse, doctor or psychologist (they are all obligated to keep your secret) and discuss it. Then, the person you spoke to can talk to teacher about letting you not attend classes.

If your recovery was "official" (i.e. not something you did on your own, but parents included), you can ask your parents to discuss that with somebody at school, and also to request confidentiality.

Hope this helps Smile

Fattie

Back to top Go down

Post by CanTheySeeHer Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:40 pm

Fattie wrote:Where are you from (meaning country/continent)?

I think you can go to school nurse, doctor or psychologist (they are all obligated to keep your secret) and discuss it. Then, the person you spoke to can talk to teacher about letting you not attend classes.

If your recovery was "official" (i.e. not something you did on your own, but parents included), you can ask your parents to discuss that with somebody at school, and also to request confidentiality.

Hope this helps Smile

Im from England, my school nurse really looks anorexic (not kidding she is like 6 foot and looks around 6 stone ) so i dont think she could help :L
My i did tell my mum last year when i was diagnosed, however i dont think she really understood and she said she wanted me to deam wit it by my self (not in a mean way but as she didnt really get it, she believed i would sort it out) and to be fair i dont want to bring it up with her and actually explain as she thinks the doc made a mistake :/ :L

CanTheySeeHer

Back to top Go down

Post by Fattie Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:42 am

There are some skinny people that are not anorexic. But I'm sure she was called anorexic on more than one occasion, so she will probably be able to understand you either way and act as liaison between you and the teacher. Or go directly to teacher and discuss the issue. Explain what you wrote here - that you are in recovery, but fear that judgement would push you into relapse.

Can you present some evidence, i.e. previous diagnosis? That could make your case even stronger...

Fattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down