Eating Disorder Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carb free

2 posters

Go down

Carb free Empty Carb free

Post by blackrainbow Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:07 am

I posted a while back about this diet I'd read about where they hook you up to a tube for 10 days and feed you that way. I booked in for a consultation and was 50/50 about going ahead with it. Anyway, my dog got ill so I couldn't keep the appointment. I decided to try and feed myself the same way for 10 days, but using food instead. So 800 calories a day max, protein and fat only, no carbs. Today is day two and I'm really struggling. My husband is doing it with me, but allowing himself some carbs. Basically Atkins. I just want some chocolate so bad. I can easily restrict to under 800 cal, but I don't like this. My head hurts and I'm really grouchy and I don't even want to think what it's doing to my recovery. I really don't know what to do. I'm just so fed up of the weight not shifting
blackrainbow
blackrainbow
Admin

http://blackrainbow60.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Carb free Empty Re: Carb free

Post by Fattie Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:11 pm

Hun, sorry I just saw your post...

As you know, I did have my fair share of low/no carb experience. For me, it did help a bit with cravings, but... You do have (more or less) regular working patterns - you need to go to work, come back home, etc; while at that period, I was working from my home.

Our bodies are used to getting their energy from carbs. When you get from plenty to none in short period of time, your body "requires" the thing that gives it the best "high". The second day would be the one when you do deplete your glycogen stores in muscles and liver, so craving something sweet was just your body's way of screaming "Refill me!" Yes, when you spend all your glycogen, the body enters ketosis and starts breaking down fat for energy, but that process is much slower than use of glycogen - therefore it leaves you with less energy available for the things you want to do.

If you are into low carb and numbers, you could do carb cycling for instance, where you variate your daily intake of carbs. That way, your body gets at least something.

For the record, NO, I don't think your ED is "giving" you that chocolate craving. It is just your body craving the energy and knowing that chocolate is a very efficient source. If you do decide to continue with this, make sure you stay well hydrated, get your vitamin (multi supplement of good quality, because some carb sources are also vitamin sources) and tone down your activity levels.

Stay safe xxx

Fattie

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum