Eating Disorder Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

headaches

2 posters

Go down

headaches Empty headaches

Post by Samzi Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:12 am

So I've always had a tendency towards headaches and migraines, for as long as I can remember. They are normally pretty ignorable. Lately, they have been coming and going randomly, lasting an unpredictable amount of time and nothing is helping. I've tried changing the foods I eat, tried different over the counter medicines, tried eating at different times, tried sleeping, tried relaxing, tried not smoking, tried smoking....

Last night, after an entire day of oppressive pain and grumpiness, I broke down in bed and cried. Joe offered to take me to the doctor this morning, and last night we ended up having to go out in the middle of the night for more pain killers and the lovely man bought me cookies too.

Today, I can tell there is a dull headache but so far nothing as bad as yesterday. Does anyone else get terrible headaches or anything similar? What do you do?
Samzi
Samzi

Back to top Go down

headaches Empty Re: headaches

Post by Fattie Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:04 am

I can relate... My migraines are getting less severe lately, but they used to be terrible. I'd get one heavy "session" at least once a week, and several milder ones in between.

For milder headaches, you can mix equal parts of eucalyptus, mint and pine oil, rub it on your forehead and temples and tie an old scarf over (if you are not going out, of course). Vicks rubbing gel (if it is available in the US) is also good, or look at the ingredients...

For severe headaches/migraines, I have my grandma's recipe. You'll need:
- 1 small potato
- some apple cider vinegar (about 2-3 tablespoons; regular vinegar could also do, but not balsamic or spiced vinegar)
- 1 cloth napkin (paper towel could also do, just as will a sleeve of an old t-shirt. Skip regular towels - they absorb too much and could drip)
- an old scarf (alternatively, whatever you could use to tie the napkin around your head)

Slice potato (1/4 in thick slices). Moist napkin with apple cider vinegar and place potato slices on it. Now place the entire thing on your forehead (potatoes are facing your forehead) and secure with scarf (or whatever else is at hand). Lay down on your back (without pillow or with a very small one) in a dark, silent room. Take at least 1 hour.

I know many people who had tried this and it worked. For me, during that 1 hour rest, I can feel my pain practically reverting - from unbearable, over heavy, down to mild and finally none. I don't know how or why does it work, but it does. And it brings less harm then any meds. Afterwards, you might want to wash your hair, since it will smell like vinegar. Sometimes I feel exhausted after my migraine is gone and a bit light/noise sensitive, so make sure you don't strain yourself.

Hope this helps xxx

Fattie

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum