Eating Disorder Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what foods and items don't exist where you are?

+2
blackrainbow
Samzi
6 posters

Go down

what foods and items don't exist where you are? Empty what foods and items don't exist where you are?

Post by Samzi Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:10 pm

After reading the electric kettle question it reminded me that Lorna was trying to sell a car that I realized they don't make here. Then I remembered that many years ago I was on a forum with a lot of brits that couldn't find lucky charms cereal or mt dew soda.

Other than Marmite (which if it tastes anhthing like vegimite...gag) I can't think of much that doesn't have an american equivilant...oh and curry we don't eat that much on my side of the country at least, its a spice here not a food.

So what have you seen that doesn't seem to be found in your home country or have a weird name change (jelly is a fruit spead here, not a geletanous desert)
Samzi
Samzi

Back to top Go down

what foods and items don't exist where you are? Empty Re: what foods and items don't exist where you are?

Post by blackrainbow Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:25 pm

We can get Mountain Dew here now Smile I don't drink fizzy drinks (soda) so I made my husband try it and he said it's nice. You can get a lot of American confectionary but only from special shops.

My husband's cousin lives in Chicago and the whole week we stayed with him I was like 'Can you get this? Can you get that?'

The thing that weirded me out most is that traffic can turn right on a red light at most junctions. I did almost get run over a couple of times and it felt very odd inside the car
blackrainbow
blackrainbow
Admin

http://blackrainbow60.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

what foods and items don't exist where you are? Empty Re: what foods and items don't exist where you are?

Post by blackrainbow Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:00 am

OMG do you know what I just remembered? Apart from one/two in the country - so that doesn't count. We do not have Dunkin Donuts or Cinnabun!
I went to Dunkin Donuts at least once each day when I was in the US
blackrainbow
blackrainbow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Samzi Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:33 am

Oh my we have dunkin in every town almost, though cinnabon isn't as big where I am. We have them in some malls closer to the city but I have never eaten there, though they smell lovely.

Oh and yeah right turn on red is the norm here, I could see that feeling weird for you.

We can only get cadbury creme eggs at Easter and they only come individual or in packs of three, the whole box thing you can get blows my mind.
Samzi
Samzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Samzi Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:57 am

Oh and our baked beans would never be found on toast with breakfast...they are a dinner food here.
Samzi
Samzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Weightlessgummiez Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:49 pm

See I just live in a small town where you find nothing anyways xD So I wouldn't know what to say xD

Weightlessgummiez

http://www.tumblr.com/dashboard

Back to top Go down

Post by Samzi Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:11 pm

I am in a small town but in driving distance of a lot, my world opened up and I discovered so much when I got my lisence lol.
Samzi
Samzi

Back to top Go down

Post by savewater Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:56 pm

Here we have 4 packs of cadbury eggs at easter! Smile Cinnabon is only at the malls around here too.

I live in a growing suburban town, which has damn near every chain restaurant in the region. The thing that is hard to find here is good natural food!
savewater
savewater

Back to top Go down

Post by blackrainbow Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:31 pm

We have so many variations of Creme eggs it's amazing Very Happy When my cousin's wife (now-ex-wife) used to come here she would live off bangers and mash and take away curry because she couldn't really get it at home. Over here, a huge thing is all you can eat Chinese buffets, but when we were over there our cousin didn't know of any in their area. We went to All Country Buffet, but TBH I wasn't over keen on it.
Another thing I found so funny is that for you guys the word 'handicap' is totally normal but over here it would actually be quite offensive. We had my husband's uncle with us in a wheelchair so we heard that word so much and no one could get why we were giggling.
OH and when we went to Johnny Rockets I had to ask for vinegar and I wasn't sure if you guys did it. The waiter was SOOO camp and he kept teasing me about it 'Yes! We have vinegar!' and 'Oh wow! Can you smell that malt vinegar? Woweee! That British girl loves it' over here we just cake our chips (fries) in it.
Oh, I wanna go back to the states now
blackrainbow
blackrainbow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by savewater Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:50 am

I love vinegar, its not widely served with fries and stuff here. There is one place that has malt vinegar out, Five Guys (burger place), I love it. I use a lot of vinegar at home.
savewater
savewater

Back to top Go down

Post by Samzi Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:12 am

Oh! We have all kinds of buffets here. There used to be a big chinesse one near me but I think it closed. Oh and pizza buffets are big where I am. We get vinegar on our fries whe we go to the beach or some rare burger joints. I never liked the stuff.

We have a product called old bay that goes on everrrrrything, probably cause it originated around where I am. Its a salty slighty cajan seafood seasoning but it goes on pasta, fries, crabs, burgers, popcorn...

Yeah, we don't use 'disabled' much here, just handicap.
Samzi
Samzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Samzi Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:20 am

I just remembered because I used the word....arse. people are always looking at me funny when I slip that word in. Rubbish is trash or garbage, we call them trash cans or dumpsters and not bins. Bollocks doesn't exist here. though my friends mom is from England and so her kids say all the brit slang.

Jumpers are called sweaters here, a jumpter here is an overall style dress, confuses me all the time.
Samzi
Samzi

Back to top Go down

Post by blackrainbow Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:55 am

Whenever I talk to my husband's cousin, I tease him over his American slang like he'll say 'the car's low on gas' and I'll say in my most posh voice 'No dear, it's low on petrol' Smile oh and here we don't really call gay people fags. Fag is slang for cigarettes.
blackrainbow
blackrainbow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fattie Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:42 pm

Ooooh, don't get me startin' Wink

First of all, nutritional labeling is rather "fresh" here, so only 30 % of products in supermarkets are labeled. Labeling usually includes cal/prot/fat/carb count per 100 grams (3.5 oz approx) - not per serving... Nor the serving size... Apart from imported products, of course...

Low-cal/fat/carb products are also rare. The most you could hope for are several kinds of milk, plain yogurts and cottage cheese. Other than that, there is a handful of items...

I saw there was a mentioning of cars... I drive US make car (Honda Accord, made in US, for Canadian market, ended up here somehow) - and everyone (especially me) loves it. However, I paid quite low price for it, since everyone else was afraid that it would cost an arm and a leg to maintain it - totally wrong, it costs me as much (or even less) than a regular European car.

The good thing you can find here is local, fresh-grown (not greenhouse stuff) fruits, veggies... And even meat!

Fattie

Back to top Go down

Post by blackrainbow Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:24 pm

All my Eastern European friends are so healthy because they cook everything fresh and don't eat ready-made or processed foods
blackrainbow
blackrainbow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blackrainbow Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:49 am

Oh no, my husband just reminded me of something that happened in America. Over here, our butter is yellow rather than white like over there. And apparently you guys don't put butter in sandwiches? Anyway, we were in Ihop and my pancakes came with this big white dollop on top. Everyone knew what it was but me. 'Ooo cream' I said and no one corrected me. I put the whole thing in my mouth! Had to spit it out yuk!
blackrainbow
blackrainbow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Elsa~ Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:14 am

Oh no, yuck! Shocked Most of our butter is yellow, but when you're out at a restaurant like that, all bets are off. Who knows what it was - some butter flavored chemical most likely.
~Elsa~
~Elsa~

Back to top Go down

Post by Samzi Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:59 am

Whipped butter is white, which is probably what you had, ick lol.
Samzi
Samzi

Back to top Go down

Post by blackrainbow Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:55 pm

It was yucky that's all I know lol
blackrainbow
blackrainbow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blackrainbow Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:43 am

Do you have KitKat in America?
blackrainbow
blackrainbow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Samzi Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:12 am

YES!!
Samzi
Samzi

Back to top Go down

Post by blackrainbow Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:29 am

Phew Smile
blackrainbow
blackrainbow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum