Eating Disorder Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Completely random. For my American ladies

+2
savewater
blackrainbow
6 posters

Go down

Completely random. For my American ladies Empty Completely random. For my American ladies

Post by blackrainbow Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:12 am

In the wonderful USA, does anyone use an electric kettle? When I stayed with family, they used a traditional one you put on the hob (or whatever you call it). I thought they were just being quirky, but since then I've seen lots of other American people talking about their kettles and they all use these type. I know my question is verrrry random, but over here it's like really rare/old fashioned to see that. Yeah, there you go
blackrainbow
blackrainbow
Admin

http://blackrainbow60.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Completely random. For my American ladies Empty Re: Completely random. For my American ladies

Post by savewater Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:30 am

I don't think I've ever seen one, but I don't care much for tea so I suppose I've never looked. I have a stove top one that I use rarely, I mostly got it for looks Smile
savewater
savewater

Back to top Go down

Completely random. For my American ladies Empty Re: Completely random. For my American ladies

Post by ~Elsa~ Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:10 am

We can get them, but the old fashioned stove top versions are more popular - that's what I have. Really though, I think we're much more likely to just put a cup of water in the microwave instead (built-ins are pretty standard here). It's faster, and as a culture we're pretty big on instant gratification. Razz
~Elsa~
~Elsa~

Back to top Go down

Post by lalalouise Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:58 am

Omg, that is so weird haha. Ive never thought about it but just assume everyone would own an electric kettle. I guess us Brits live up to the tea stereotype lol!

lalalouise

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Elsa~ Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:16 am

Lol, looks that way. I would guess most American households have automatics coffee pots though - keeping up our coffee junkie rep. Razz
~Elsa~
~Elsa~

Back to top Go down

Post by Samzi Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:02 pm

I am the only person I know under the age of 60 with a proper tea pot here lol. No we don't use kettles often, esp electric ones. We normally either use those kureg one cup things or pop a mug into the microwave. Though the stovetop burner kind still can be found
Samzi
Samzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Weightlessgummiez Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:10 pm

haha i use the kureg cup thing xD or microwave... i didn't know there was electric ones xD

Weightlessgummiez

http://www.tumblr.com/dashboard

Back to top Go down

Post by lalalouise Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:26 pm

Omg this is blowing my mind lol! I could never imagine using the microwave to heat up water for tea haha!

What sort of tea bags do you have? Have you heard of PG tips? Tetley? Earl Grey? Razz

lalalouise

Back to top Go down

Post by blackrainbow Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:08 pm

OMG Louise when we went we were like 'Can I have tea?' and they were like what type of tea? Whaaaat? They use Liptons Smile Wow, you would never heat water in a microwave here. This is so random, but yeah I like finding these little differences between us
blackrainbow
blackrainbow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blackrainbow Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:09 pm

Ps, I think we should introduce them to the Tetley folk and the PG tips monkeys.... everyone in Britain will know what this means. Everyone else should YouTube it
blackrainbow
blackrainbow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lalalouise Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:27 am

Aww yes deffo! The tetley folk are so cute. And 'eagleeeee' just popped in my head thinking about the monkey lol.

When i went to Florida i dont think i had any tea, but there was some confusion with chips/crisps lol.

lalalouise

Back to top Go down

Post by blackrainbow Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:25 am

No one in america could understand when I pronounced 'tomato' or when I went to McDonalds we call it milkshake, but I thought you guys call it just a 'shake' the woman just stared blankly at me... 'yeah water please'.... don't want to stereotype but most of the people working in fast food were (I think) Mexican so I don't know if maybe that's why they didn't get my accent
blackrainbow
blackrainbow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by savewater Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:23 am

We call it a shake or milkshake. I call it a milkshake, too. And you are mostly right about that stereotype, especially where I live.
savewater
savewater

Back to top Go down

Post by Samzi Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:37 am

We have a brand called Tetley for tea here, they make the only tagless green I can find. Lipton is popular for iced tea and generally come without being individually wrapped. Loose tea is a speciality.
Samzi
Samzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Weightlessgummiez Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:47 pm

I know erl grey xD other than that w e buy what ever sounds yummy Very Happy like i just tried some Peach black tea
toady Very Happy and i call it a milkshake Very Happy Lipton is okay when i can't have
anything else... I enjoy Arizona iced tea but my favorite is Peace tea Smile Comes in huge cans Very Happy they're pretty good for you... well compared to other canned crap and American stuff in general xD

Weightlessgummiez

http://www.tumblr.com/dashboard

Back to top Go down

Post by Samzi Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:09 pm

Peace tea is good and so cheap!

Lorna, how do you pronounce tomato lol.
Samzi
Samzi

Back to top Go down

Post by blackrainbow Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:35 pm

Tom-are-toe Very Happy
blackrainbow
blackrainbow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lalalouise Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:00 am

Me and my boyfriend was watching Man vs Food yesterday and its so weird how americans announce things differently lol. My accent is pretty terrible, yet when i went to the US everyone was like 'you are so posh', i was like nooo!

lalalouise

Back to top Go down

Post by Samzi Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:05 am

Oh my! Lol I pronounce it toe-may-toe no silly r in the middle lol :-)
Samzi
Samzi

Back to top Go down

Post by blackrainbow Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:58 am

I will skype you one day very soon and we can just say words to each other like tomato, water, advertisement and garage Smile
blackrainbow
blackrainbow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum