Eating Disorder Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

training for a 5k

4 posters

Go down

training for a 5k Empty training for a 5k

Post by savewater Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:29 am

So I signed up for The Color Run! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I'm so excited, it looks like so much fun.... except for the running part! I want to begin training, my run isn't until the end of July. I've never ran distances really, or ran for fun. When I used to have to run for the drumline I did, I ran well, ran at the front of the group and felt pretty good no matter how long the run.... but that was 6 years ago and I haven't really ran since. I feel like I can totally do it, but I'm having trouble getting motivated to start running- that's why I signed up for this race, so I'd be forced to. I'm going to start the couch to 5k, just as soon as I get motivated. Any words of advice on running/training?
savewater
savewater

Back to top Go down

training for a 5k Empty Re: training for a 5k

Post by blackrainbow Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:22 pm

Oh wow that sounds brilliant. I've never ran before, really. Well I used to do a bit on the treadmill but like half an hour tops. Just start slow and every time, do a little bit more. Like a minute extra or 30 seconds extra or try something each time which will push you just a little bit harder. Good luck xx
blackrainbow
blackrainbow
Admin

http://blackrainbow60.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Elsa~ Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:52 pm

If you have a smart phone/iPod, C25K has a great app - the guy tells you when to walk/run so you don't even have to think. Razz

Good luck, and buy good shoes! Your feet, knees and shins will thank you. Wink
~Elsa~
~Elsa~

Back to top Go down

Post by lalalouise Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:33 am

Definitely get some good running shoes like Elsa said.

Also, your diet is going to have a big impact on how far you can run. I dont even know what the right diet is for running, but i just live on slow release cereal when i run and it works for me. Sometimes pasta if my brain lets me.

Distraction is the key to any exercise. Get some good songs on your ipod and sing along in your head. Not actively thinking about running makes it go quick and easy. Smile

lalalouise

Back to top Go down

Post by savewater Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:25 am

Ok, its confirmed, running effing sucks! Just did my first one, took one of my dogs so she could exercise too, she'd had enough by the 3rd interval!

Thanks guys, I'm definitely going to get that app... good thing I bought myself a new watch with a timer Wink And I already have practically new shoes.... bought them right before I stopped going to the gym a year ago! Time to break them in officially with some actual working out.
savewater
savewater

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum