Eating Disorder Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone in real life

+5
Weightlessgummiez
existentialgirl
LRT
Samzi
blackrainbow
9 posters

Go down

Anyone in real life Empty Anyone in real life

Post by blackrainbow Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:49 am

Do you know anyone in real life with an ED? I'm only asking because I have just seen a photo on another forum (not an ED forum) of a girl I used to know. I know that she had anorexia but only after I knew her. There are a few people I suspect, but I don't actually know anyone with an ED. I wonder how I would react. Would I support them or avoid them? Would I admit my own ED to them....
blackrainbow
blackrainbow
Admin

http://blackrainbow60.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone in real life Empty Re: Anyone in real life

Post by Samzi Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:01 am

Years ago I had a best friend who had bulimia and self harm problems. We were young and it was when I was having a lot of si problem and testibg the waters of purging. We talked about it, but she went to treatment and then changed school and lost touch. I see her occassionally but we have not tlked about those years when we were like 12 or 13.

Other than that the closest would have been Ash which was both nice and hard. Talking to her was a huge trigger since she was both smaller and had a different ed. On the other hand it was nice because she was supportive of everything and stuff. She didnt live too far from me so tevhnically we could have met up a few times so its kinda in person lol

I dont know how I would feel if someone came to me. I would support them but probably would stay quiet about mine for a while.
Samzi
Samzi

Back to top Go down

Post by LRT Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:25 am

I know 2 with people ED's one is just coming out of treatment, I went to school with her so have known her years, tbh at first I was a little wary but we have supported each other and just sat and chatted, I have found it really helpful, we don't just talk ED stuff.

The other one I used to work with, she has also been really supportive and I have been supportive back,

Just being able to talk to someone in real life who understands is really helpful and I don't feel so alone x
LRT
LRT

Back to top Go down

Post by existentialgirl Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:13 pm

I don't know of anyone. I kinda wish there was one person here who understood though. I'm scared to talk to my friends about it because I'm afraid of what they'd do or say unless I told them I was in recovery and it's going well which it isn't. If someone did come to me, I'd be there for them and supportive, but I'd really have to trust them before I said something about my ED.

existentialgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Samzi Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:18 pm

I tried to talk to someone once who was not at all understanding. I got the just eat helthy and workout lecture. Plus I was told that I was too fat to have an ed....that shut me down from being open with anyone. Even mentioning my weight online makes me feel like everyone is laughing at me.
Samzi
Samzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Weightlessgummiez Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:16 pm

my friend does <3 we haven't DIRECTLY admitted it but we both know and talk about issues we have... im worried about her though, im noticing lots of rapid weight loss and gaah >.< no bueno

Weightlessgummiez

http://www.tumblr.com/dashboard

Back to top Go down

Post by Fattie Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:36 am

I don't know anyone... That is: there are several people I suspect (basically, from eating patterns), but nobody in my world was ever diagnosed/hospitalized...

Fattie

Back to top Go down

Post by H.x Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:54 am

For about a year and a bit I had a friend I met online who was Anorexic like me at the time.
We arranged a meeting and became fast and firm friend albeit completely toxic for each other.
We spent hours and hours walking up and down or at her house or at my house which was genuinely fun and nice.
There was a sense of joy and security in knowing that someone else understood exactly how I felt.

Later on our friendship completely fizzled, which was a good thing.
When I got to college I had a friend (a boy) who out of the blue told me he made himself vomit after meals, because he thought he was fat, which he actually was.
I currently have a friend (girl) who went through a period of being somewhat Anorexic and hospitalized for it, but has since recovered, although her mindset is still slightly skewed.

H.x

Back to top Go down

Post by lalalouise Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:58 am

Nope, i dont know of anyone. My town is really small, and i think to myself, how many people would there be with EDs. But theyve just opened up a treatment centre, so there must be some ha.

Also, theres a girl coming up on the new supersize vs superskinny that is from my town.

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Woman-s-story-living-eating-disorder-air-TV/story-15295144-detail/story.html

Its pretty annoying, because in my eyes 7 and a half stone isnt really that life threatening (sorry if my opinion annoys anyone), ive been 7 and a half stone and still look really big, so i guess thats why.

It would probably be harmful to my own health if i knew someone with an ED.

lalalouise

Back to top Go down

Post by blackrainbow Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:04 am

Whenever we watch Supersize vs Superskinny, I always comment that the skinny people are not that skinny. My husband thinks I'm mad. I was watching it with a load of people at work one day (including someone I suspect of an ED) and she was the only one to agree with me
blackrainbow
blackrainbow
Admin

http://blackrainbow60.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Elsa~ Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:05 am

I'm facebook friends with a high school classmate, and she's very open about how she still struggles a bit with hers (I always wondered, but we hung with different crowds). I keep my fb page ED free, so I haven't let on that I relapsed, and I don't plan to.

I'm suspicious of another skater at one of my rinks, but would never say anything about it to her. I haven't been there lately anyway.

I do know that the authors of Wasted and Purge are around here somewhere though.
~Elsa~
~Elsa~

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Elsa~ Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:43 pm

Just ran across another high school classmate on facebook - her mom posted something under a picture of her in high school about being recovered from anorexia and how far she's come. Good grief, how self absorbed was I in high school not to realize she was sick too?! She wasn't a close friend, but we hung out with a lot of the same people. Looking at the pic now, I can totally see it. How did I not see it then?
~Elsa~
~Elsa~

Back to top Go down

Post by NomiStar Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:35 pm

One of my friends lost a lot of weight and her period and I guess could have been considered anorexic but I don't know if she is still doing that and if she's been diagnosed or anything. Her mum knew about it so I think she would have tried to help her. We didn't really mention it when we met up but we didn't eat the afternoon we went out. :p It was caused by stress from starting sixth form so she may be ok now, I'd have to see her to find out.
NomiStar
NomiStar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down